GASB Issues Exposure Draft on Impairment of Capital Assets
February 13, 2003
The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) published the Exposure Draft “Accounting and Financial Reporting for Impairment of Capital Assets and for Insurance Recoveries” in December. The proposed standard calls for reporting the effects of capital impairments upon occurrence and providing consistency in accounting for insurance recoveries.
In regard to capital asset impairment, governments would be required to evaluate prominent events or changes in circumstances affecting such assets. Impaired capital assets no longer to be used would be reported at the lower of carrying value or fair value. Impairments must be considered permanent to qualify for a write-down, and such losses would be reported in accordance with the guidance of GASB Statements 34 and 35. Impairment losses not obvious from the face of the financial statements will need to be disclosed.
The Exposure Draft also addresses guidance for insurance recoveries. The recommended guidance applies to all recoveries, not just those associated with the impairment of capital assets. However, recoveries associated with events or changes in circumstances resulting in the impairment of capital assets would be netted with the impairment loss. Recoveries that are not apparent on the financial statements will need to be disclosed in the notes to the financial statements.
The Exposure Draft is available on the GASB Web site. NACUBO encourages members to submit comment letters to the GASB by the February 28 deadline. The NACUBO contact for questions or feedback is Sue Menditto, manager: accounting & finance programs, (202) 861-2542, email@example.com.
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis