GASB Issues Concept Defining Elements of Financial Statements
June 26, 2007
The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) has issued Concepts Statement No. 4, Elements of Financial Statements, defining the basic elements of state and local government financial statements. The GASB’s Concepts Statements are intended to provide a foundation to guide the Board’s development of accounting and financial reporting standards.
In the new Concepts Statement No. 4, the notion of a resource is central to all element definitions. The GASB characterizes a resource as an item with a present capacity to provide service. Accordingly, the following elements defined in the concept statement are anchored in the GASB’s delineation of a resource:
- Assets - resources with present service capacity that the government presently controls
- Liabilities - present obligations to sacrifice resources that the government has little or no discretion to avoid
- A Deferred Outflow of Resources - a consumption of net assets by the government that is applicable to a future reporting period
- A Deferred Inflow of Resources - an acquisition of net assets by the government that is applicable to a future reporting period
- Net Position - the residual of all other elements presented in a statement of financial position.
The Concepts Statement also defines elements of resource flows statements as:
- Outflow of Resources - a consumption of net assets by the government that is applicable to the reporting period
- Inflow of Resources - an acquisition of net assets by the government that is applicable to the reporting period.
- Task Force Urges Regulatory Reform
- Legislators Take Action on Education, Charitable and Research Incentives
- Associations Comment on College Ratings System
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis