GASB Considers Termination Benefits Exchange Transactions
September 21, 2005
Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) Statement No. 47, Accounting for Termination Benefits, addresses accounting and reporting guidance for both voluntary and involuntary termination benefits. In the July issue of Business Officer, NACUBO incorrectly informed members that such termination benefits are considered nonexchange transactions. Rather, both voluntary and involuntary terminations are considered exchange transactions. In a nonexchange transaction, a government gives (or receives) value without directly receiving (or giving) equal value in return. In an exchange transaction, each party directly receives and gives up essentially equal values. With termination benefits there is an exchange, directly related to the termination, between the governmental employer and the employee.
Resources: GASB Statement 33, Accounting and Financial Reporting for Nonexchange Transactions; NACUBO’s Financial Accounting and Reporting Manual (FARM), Chapter 300; and Emerging Issues Update 02-4.
NACUBO staff resource: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy.
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis