GASB Considers Termination Benefits Exchange Transactions
September 21, 2005
Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) Statement No. 47, Accounting for Termination Benefits, addresses accounting and reporting guidance for both voluntary and involuntary termination benefits. In the July issue of Business Officer, NACUBO incorrectly informed members that such termination benefits are considered nonexchange transactions. Rather, both voluntary and involuntary terminations are considered exchange transactions. In a nonexchange transaction, a government gives (or receives) value without directly receiving (or giving) equal value in return. In an exchange transaction, each party directly receives and gives up essentially equal values. With termination benefits there is an exchange, directly related to the termination, between the governmental employer and the employee.
Resources: GASB Statement 33, Accounting and Financial Reporting for Nonexchange Transactions; NACUBO’s Financial Accounting and Reporting Manual (FARM), Chapter 300; and Emerging Issues Update 02-4.
NACUBO staff resource: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy.
- Final Rules Issued on the Violence Against Women Act
- FASB Gives Go-Ahead for Exposure Draft on NFP Reporting
- CDC Advises Colleges, Universities and Students about Ebola
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis