GASB Addresses Bankruptcy
July 30, 2009
The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) has proposed a new standard to assist governments with issues relevant in today's economic environment. The exposure draft, "Accounting and Financial Reporting for Chapter 9 Bankruptcies," would provide guidance for governments that have petitioned for protection from creditors by filing for bankruptcy under Chapter 9 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. Comments on the proposal are due to GASB by August 28, 2009.
GASB currently has no authoritative literature for governments filing bankruptcy. Although it is rare for governmental entities to file bankruptcy, such a circumstance would require the government to look to standards that may take an approach to recognition and measurement that is not consistent with governmental accounting and reporting.
The proposal would require governments to remeasure liabilities that are subject to adjustment in bankruptcy. The measurement would consider the new payment plans that result from the bankruptcy proceedings. The proposal also notes that existing authoritative guidance should be followed when remeasuring leases, pollution remediation liabilities, and liabilities for pension and other postemployment benefit plans.
Director, Accounting Policy
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis