GASB Addresses Accounting for Sales and Pledges of Receivables and Future Revenues
October 19, 2005
The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) issued a September 30 exposure draft designed to clarify existing guidance on accounting for sales and pledges of receivables and future revenues. The draft addresses whether certain transactions should be regarded as a sale or a collateralized borrowing. Examples of such transactions would be the sale of student loans; mortgages; or future revenue agreements.
Historically, such transactions have not been authoritatively addressed by GASB. The draft would establish criteria that public institutions and governments would use to determine whether such transactions are sales or collateralized borrowings. Sales generate revenue and remove the assets, and collateralized borrowings result in liabilities.
In addition to clarifying guidance on accounting for sales and pledges of receivables and future revenues, the proposal will:
- require enhanced disclosures pertaining to future revenues that have been pledged or sold;
- provide guidance on sales of receivables and future revenues within the same financial reporting entity; and
- provide guidance on recognizing other assets and liabilities arising from the sale of specific receivables or future revenues.
The requirements in the draft would improve financial reporting by establishing consistent measurement, recognition, and disclosure requirements applicable to both governmental and business-type activities. The requirements of this proposed statement would be effective for financial statements for periods beginning after December 16, 2005.
NACUBO plans to comment on the draft and we would like to hear from members who may be affected by the proposed statement. NACUBO encourages interested institutions to comment through written response to Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy. The deadline for submitting comments is December 30, 2005.
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives