GASB: The Exposure Draft "Accounting for Termination Benefits"
January 11, 2005
On December 10, 2004, the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) issued an Exposure Draft, “Accounting for Termination Benefits,” that addresses employer accounting guidance when benefits are provided for terminated employees. The employee termination can be voluntary or involuntary, and the benefits include early retirement incentives, severance benefits, and other termination-related benefits.
The Exposure Draft covers recognition, measurement, and disclosure requirements related to termination benefits. In financial statements prepared on the accrual basis of accounting, employers would be required to recognize a liability and expense for voluntary termination benefits when the offer is accepted. A liability and expense for involuntary termination benefits would be recognized when a plan of termination has authorized approval. There are several measurement requirements; for example, health-care-related termination benefits would be measured by projecting claims costs, evaluating health care cost trends, and discounting to present value. Finally, employers would be required to disclose a description of the termination arrangement and the cost of the termination benefit if the cost is not identifiable on the face of the financial statements.
The requirements would be effective for financial statements for periods beginning after June 15, 2005. The deadline for submitting comments to GASB is March 11. NACUBO encourages interested members to submit a written response and welcomes member input for use in our comment letter. NACUBO contact: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy, 202.861.2542, email@example.com.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- 2013 Higher Education Accounting Forum
May 19-21, 2013
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis