FASB to Reconsider Accounting for Pensions and Other Postretirement Benefits
November 16, 2005
On November 10, the Financial Accounting Standards Board added a project to its agenda to reconsider guidance in Statement No. 87, Employers’ Accounting for Pensions, and Statement No. 106, Employers ’ Accounting for Postretirement Benefits Other Than Pensions. The FASB agenda addition reflects the board’s commitment to ensure that its standards address current accounting issues and changing business practices. Consistent with its effort toward international convergence, FASB expects to work with the International Accounting Standards Board.
Because the accounting and reporting issues surrounding pensions and other postretirement benefits involve many fundamental areas of accounting and also affect complex funding and tax rules, FASB will conduct the project in two phases. The objective of the first phase is to require measurement information about pension and other postretirement plans on the balance sheet rather than solely in the footnotes. The more comprehensive second phase will address the following issues:
- how to best recognize and display in earnings and other comprehensive income the various elements that affect the cost of providing postretirement benefits;
- how to best measure the obligation, in particular the obligations under plans with lump-sum settlement options;
- whether more or different guidance should be provided regarding measurement assumptions; and
- whether postretirement benefit trusts should be consolidated by the plan sponsor.
Due dates have not been specified. NACUBO will continue to track this agenda item and keep members informed.
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives