Financial Accounting Standards Board issues standard that amends and clarifies Accounting Guidance on Derivatives
April 30, 2003
On April 30, 2003, the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) issued Statement No. 149, Amendment of Statement 133 on Derivatives Instruments and Hedging Activities.
The new standard requires that contracts with comparable characteristics be accounted for in a similar fashion. This guidance is intended to improve the consistency of reporting for contracts that are derivatives in their entirety or that contain embedded derivatives that warrant separate accounting. Not-for-profit organizations continue to recognize the change in fair value of derivatives as a change in net assets in the period of change.
The statement is effective for contracts entered into or modified after June 30, 2003, and for hedging relationships designated after June 30, 2003. The guidance should be applied prospectively.
- Federal Court Postpones Effective Date of Overtime Rule
- 1098-T Box 1 Reporting Will Not be Required Until 2018 Tax Year
- EPA Issues Hazardous Waste Generator Improvements Rule
- 2017 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 23-24, 2017
- 2017 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 1-3, 2017
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives