Financial Accounting Standards Board issues standard that amends and clarifies Accounting Guidance on Derivatives
April 30, 2003
On April 30, 2003, the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) issued Statement No. 149, Amendment of Statement 133 on Derivatives Instruments and Hedging Activities.
The new standard requires that contracts with comparable characteristics be accounted for in a similar fashion. This guidance is intended to improve the consistency of reporting for contracts that are derivatives in their entirety or that contain embedded derivatives that warrant separate accounting. Not-for-profit organizations continue to recognize the change in fair value of derivatives as a change in net assets in the period of change.
The statement is effective for contracts entered into or modified after June 30, 2003, and for hedging relationships designated after June 30, 2003. The guidance should be applied prospectively.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- 2013 Higher Education Accounting Forum
May 19-21, 2013
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis