FASB Tackles Financial Statement Disclosures
September 10, 2012
Recognizing the need for improved effectiveness of financial statement disclosures, the Financial Accounting Standards Board added a disclosure framework project to its agenda in 2009. According to FASB Chairman Leslie F. Seidman, "Many stakeholders have expressed concerns about the relevance and sheer volume of information in the notes to the financial statements, and that some information is either missing or difficult to find." As a first step in soliciting feedback from a broad audience, the FASB issued a Discussion Paper (DP), Invitation to Comment - Disclosure Framework, in July.
In order to achieve the objective of the Project a framework that results in consistent decisions about disclosure requirements must be developed. For most entities, that information centers on the ability to assess the organization's prospects for future cash flows. While that may be important to some users of not-for-profit entities' (NFPs) financial statements, there are other aspects such as long-term sustainability that are equally, if not more, important. The FASB recognizes this and has requested input from NFPs on this topic.
The approach outlined in the DP is in the form of a series of questions that address the relevance of information needed to assets the entity's prospects for future cash flows. Under this approach, disclosure would be limited to information that:
- is unique to an entity or its industry;
- is not already apparent from the basic financial statements;
- is not readily available from public sources; or
- could make a material difference in the assessment of future cash flows.
The DP can be downloaded from the FASB website. The deadline for comments is November 16, 2012. NACUBO encourages independent institutions to submit comments directly to FASB or send comments to NACUBO for inclusion in our industry comment letter.
Director, Accounting Policy
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- 2013 Higher Education Accounting Forum
May 19-21, 2013
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis