FASB Releases Not-for-Profit Examples for Proposed Pension Statement
May 16, 2006
The Financial Accounting Standards Board staff has prepared several examples to help readers of FASB proposed statement "Employers' Accounting for Defined Benefit Pension and Other Postretirement Plans" understand how its guidance would be applied by not-for-profit organizations.The examples--which illustrate the retrospective application of statement provisions and reporting of actuarial gains or losses and prior service costs or credits--include application by higher education institutions. One example illustrates presentation in the statement of activities of a university that chooses to present an intermediate measure of operations. Another example, of a voluntary health and welfare organization, illustrates presentation in an organization that chooses not to present an intermediate measure of operations and is applicable for colleges and universities that do not present such a measure.
The illustrations are not part of the proposed Statement but FASB encourages readers to consider them in connection with Issue 5 regarding guidance for reporting actuarial gains and losses and prior service costs and credits when responding to the Exposure Draft. Written comments are due May 31. NACUBO encourages members to comment directly to FASB and copy NACUBO.
The proposed statement and illustrations are available on the FASB Web site.
NACUBO contact: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis