FASB Proposes Framework for GAAP Hierarchy
May 4, 2005
On April 28, the Financial Accounting Standards Board published the Exposure Draft "The Hierarchy of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles." FASB is the designated private sector standard-setter under the Securities and Exchange Commission rules. Consequently, the draft addresses how the GAAP hierarchy should reside in the accounting literature established by FASB. The comment period for the draft ends June 27. The document is available on FASB’s Web site at www.fasb.org.
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Statement on Auditing Standards No. 69, The Meaning of Present Fairly in Conformity With Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (SAS 69), ranks the relative authority of accounting principles issued from multiple standard-setters. Because the Securities and Exchange Commission reaffirmed FASB as the designated private sector standard-setter for public companies, the board concluded that the GAAP hierarchy should reside in the accounting literature established by FASB.
FASB believes that improving the GAAP hierarchy is an important element of strengthening the quality of accounting standards and the standard-setting process. The draft is considered a necessary step toward the objective of simplification of standard setting: one process and one form of guidance.
Please share your comments or concerns with Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis