FASB Issues Staff Position on Financial Interpretation 48
February 21, 2008
A FASB Staff Position (FSP) issued on February 1 defers the effective date of FASB Interpretation (FIN) No. 48, Accounting for Uncertainty in Income Taxes, for certain nonpublic enterprises. Few independent institutions are likely to qualify for this deferral.
The one-year deferral of the effective date of Interpretation 48 is for all nonpublic entities, unless they have already implemented the Interpretation and issued interim or year-end GAAP financial statements. Consistent with the definition of public in FASB Statement No. 109, Accounting for Income Taxes, which Interpretation 48 is interpreting and which is amended by FSP FAS 126-1, nonpublic would include all not-for-profits without publicly traded conduit debt.
Publicly traded conduit debt securities can be traded in foreign or domestic exchanges or over-the-counter markets, which can be local or regional. Based on this definition, many independent institutions hold such conduit debt and would be considered public per SFAS 109 and therefore FIN 48. However, independent institutions without conduit debt or with only privately placed conduit debt would be eligible for the deferral.
NACUBO Contact: Sue Menditto, Director, Accounting Policy
- ED Tightens New "Gainful Employment" Rules
- GASB Studies Irrevocable Charitable Trusts
- ED Negotiations Focus on Cash Management
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis