FASB Issues Staff Position on Financial Interpretation 48
February 21, 2008
A FASB Staff Position (FSP) issued on February 1 defers the effective date of FASB Interpretation (FIN) No. 48, Accounting for Uncertainty in Income Taxes, for certain nonpublic enterprises. Few independent institutions are likely to qualify for this deferral.
The one-year deferral of the effective date of Interpretation 48 is for all nonpublic entities, unless they have already implemented the Interpretation and issued interim or year-end GAAP financial statements. Consistent with the definition of public in FASB Statement No. 109, Accounting for Income Taxes, which Interpretation 48 is interpreting and which is amended by FSP FAS 126-1, nonpublic would include all not-for-profits without publicly traded conduit debt.
Publicly traded conduit debt securities can be traded in foreign or domestic exchanges or over-the-counter markets, which can be local or regional. Based on this definition, many independent institutions hold such conduit debt and would be considered public per SFAS 109 and therefore FIN 48. However, independent institutions without conduit debt or with only privately placed conduit debt would be eligible for the deferral.
NACUBO Contact: Sue Menditto, Director, Accounting Policy
- Some Cash Management Changes Apply to All Institutions
- NACUBO Summarizes Regulations on Banking, Processing Relationships
- Education Funding Depends on Devil in the Details
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 25-26, 2016
- 2016 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
January 25-26, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding ED's New Cash Management Rules
- ON-DEMAND: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis