FASB Issues Proposed Guidance on Personnel Services Received from an Affiliate
August 10, 2012
In an effort to resolve diversity in practice regarding how not-for-profit organizations (NFPs) treat personnel services received from an affiliate, the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) recently issued proposed guidance for public comment.
The proposal, "Personnel Services Received from an Affiliate for Which the Affiliate Does Not Seek Compensation (Topic 958)," would require an NFP to recognize the value of services provided by an affiliate's personnel. The value would equal the cost recognized by the affiliate for the personnel providing the services. The proposed guidance would apply only to the NFP's standalone financial statements.
The key points of the proposed guidance are:
- The affiliate must directly or indirectly control, be controlled by, or be under common control with the NFP receiving the services.
- The affiliate must not intend to seek compensation from the NFP for the personnel services provided.
- The NFP receiving the services must produce standalone financial statements.
- Services of any nature (administrative, specialized, etc.) must be recognized.
The proposed ASU is not expected to have a significant impact on independent institutions. However, NACUBO would like to hear from institutions that may be affected by the proposed guidance. The comment deadline is September 20, 2012.
Director, Accounting Policy
- Associations Respond to DACA and DREAM Act Concerns
- Congress Makes Changes to GI Bill Education Benefits
- CFPB Report Criticizes Campus Banking Agreements
- 2017 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 23-24, 2017
- 2017 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 1-3, 2017
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:15AM ET
- WEBCAST: Compliance Challenges for the New EPA Hazardous Waste Rule
Tuesday, February 7, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Thursday, February 9, 2017 12:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: The ROI of Student Success: Practical Considerations for Measuring and Conveying the Financial Value of Student Support Services
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus