FASB Issues Proposed Guidance on Personnel Services Received from an Affiliate
August 10, 2012
In an effort to resolve diversity in practice regarding how not-for-profit organizations (NFPs) treat personnel services received from an affiliate, the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) recently issued proposed guidance for public comment.
The proposal, "Personnel Services Received from an Affiliate for Which the Affiliate Does Not Seek Compensation (Topic 958)," would require an NFP to recognize the value of services provided by an affiliate's personnel. The value would equal the cost recognized by the affiliate for the personnel providing the services. The proposed guidance would apply only to the NFP's standalone financial statements.
The key points of the proposed guidance are:
- The affiliate must directly or indirectly control, be controlled by, or be under common control with the NFP receiving the services.
- The affiliate must not intend to seek compensation from the NFP for the personnel services provided.
- The NFP receiving the services must produce standalone financial statements.
- Services of any nature (administrative, specialized, etc.) must be recognized.
The proposed ASU is not expected to have a significant impact on independent institutions. However, NACUBO would like to hear from institutions that may be affected by the proposed guidance. The comment deadline is September 20, 2012.
Director, Accounting Policy
- ED Proposes Substantial Expansion of Financial Responsibility Indicators
- Supreme Court Hands Down Two Decisions with Higher Education Implications
- NACUBO Objects to Annual SFA Audits
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- WEBCAST: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives