FASB Issues Proposed Guidance on Personnel Services Received from an Affiliate
August 10, 2012
In an effort to resolve diversity in practice regarding how not-for-profit organizations (NFPs) treat personnel services received from an affiliate, the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) recently issued proposed guidance for public comment.
The proposal, "Personnel Services Received from an Affiliate for Which the Affiliate Does Not Seek Compensation (Topic 958)," would require an NFP to recognize the value of services provided by an affiliate's personnel. The value would equal the cost recognized by the affiliate for the personnel providing the services. The proposed guidance would apply only to the NFP's standalone financial statements.
The key points of the proposed guidance are:
- The affiliate must directly or indirectly control, be controlled by, or be under common control with the NFP receiving the services.
- The affiliate must not intend to seek compensation from the NFP for the personnel services provided.
- The NFP receiving the services must produce standalone financial statements.
- Services of any nature (administrative, specialized, etc.) must be recognized.
The proposed ASU is not expected to have a significant impact on independent institutions. However, NACUBO would like to hear from institutions that may be affected by the proposed guidance. The comment deadline is September 20, 2012.
Director, Accounting Policy
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis