FASB Issues Proposal to Improve Postretirement Plan Accounting
April 3, 2006
The Financial Accounting Standars Board issued an Exposure Draft that would improve financial reporting by requiring employers to recognize the overfunded or underfunded positions of defined benefit postretirement plans, including pension plans, in their balance sheets. The proposal would also require that employers measure plan assets and obligations as of the date of their financial statements.
The draft applies to plan sponsors that are public and private companies and nongovernmental not-for-profit organizations. It results from the first phase of a comprehensive project to reconsider guidance in Statement No. 87, "Employers’ Accounting for Pensions," and Statement No. 106, "Employers’ Accounting for Postretirement Benefits Other Than Pensions." A second, broader phase will comprehensively address remaining issues. FASB expects to collaborate with the International Accounting Standards Board on that phase.
Current accounting standards do not provide complete information about postretirement benefit obligations, allowing an employer to recognize an asset or liability in its balance sheet that can differ from its overfunded or underfunded positions. Consequently, incomplete reporting results because existing standards allow delayed recognition of certain changes in plan assets and obligations that affect the costs of providing such benefits.
The proposed changes, other than the requirement to measure plan assets and obligations as of the balance sheet date, would be effective for fiscal years ending after December 15, 2007, for non-public entities, including independent colleges and universities.
FASB is seeking written comments on the proposal by May 31. NACUBO encourages members to comment directly to FASB and copy NACUBO.
NACUBO contact: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy.
- Tuition Increases Slow, While Student Loan Borrowing Declines, College Board Reports
- IRS Response to NACUBO on 1098-T Penalties Offers No Relief
- IRS Publishes Final Rules on Overpayments of Arbitrage Rebate on Tax-Exempt Bonds
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis