FASB Issues ED on Conditional Asset Retirement Obligations
August 25, 2004
FASB released an exposure draft of a proposed interpretation of FASB Statement No. 143, Accounting for Asset Retirement Obligations. It would clarify that an entity is required to recognize a liability for the fair value of an asset retirement obligation that is conditioned on a future event if the liability’s fair value can be estimated reasonably. The liability would be recognized when incurred or in the earliest period in which sufficient information is available to make a reasonable estimate of its fair value. Uncertainty surrounding the timing and method of settlement would be factored into the measurement of the liability rather than the recognition of the liability.
The draft can be downloaded from the FASB Web site. Comments were due by August 1, but are still being accepted by FASB.
NACUBO staff resource: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy, email@example.com
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET