FASB Issues ED on Conditional Asset Retirement Obligations
August 25, 2004
FASB released an exposure draft of a proposed interpretation of FASB Statement No. 143, Accounting for Asset Retirement Obligations. It would clarify that an entity is required to recognize a liability for the fair value of an asset retirement obligation that is conditioned on a future event if the liability’s fair value can be estimated reasonably. The liability would be recognized when incurred or in the earliest period in which sufficient information is available to make a reasonable estimate of its fair value. Uncertainty surrounding the timing and method of settlement would be factored into the measurement of the liability rather than the recognition of the liability.
The draft can be downloaded from the FASB Web site. Comments were due by August 1, but are still being accepted by FASB.
NACUBO staff resource: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Broad Coalition Presses for Expansion of Employer-Provided Tuition Benefits
- New GASB Standard Tackles Fiduciary Activities
- New Report Details Charitable Giving to Colleges and Universities
- WEBCAST: Planning Components of Civil Discourse
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Compliance Challenges for the New EPA Hazardous Waste Rule
- ON-DEMAND: The ROI of Student Success: Practical Considerations for Measuring and Conveying the Financial Value of Student Support Services
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Student Financial Services Conference