FASB Exposure Draft Examines Fair Value Measures
August 25, 2004
FASB released an exposure draft of a proposed statement that would provide guidance for how to measure fair value. Its guidance would establish a framework for measuring assets and liabilities at fair value. In doing so, it would supersede the fair value measurement guidance in FASB Statement No. 116, Accounting for Contributions Received and Contributions Made; FASB Statement No. 124, Accounting for Certain Investments Held by Not-for-Profit Organizations; FASB Statement No. 136, Transfers of Assets to a Not-for-Profit Organization or Charitable Trust That Raises or Holds Contributions for Others; as well as more than 30 other statements.
The proposed statement would establish a three-level hierarchy of methods for determining fair value. The highest level (level 1) would be use of quoted prices for identical assets or liabilities in active reference markets. If those prices are not available, fair value would be estimated using quoted prices for similar assets or liabilities in active markets, adjusted as appropriate for differences between the asset or liability being measured and the reference asset or liability (level 2). If level 1 and 2 methods cannot be used because information is unavailable, fair value would be estimated by using valuation techniques consistent with the market approach, income approach, and cost approach. Key aspects of those three approaches are summarized in the draft.
The exposure draft can be downloaded from FASB's Web site. Comments are due by September 7.
NACUBO staff resource: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy, email@example.com.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis