FASB Expands Fair Value Disclosure Requirements
January 30, 2010
The Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) has issued Accounting Standards Update (ASU) 2010-06. The ASU requires new disclosures and clarifies some existing disclosure requirements about fair value measurement as set forth in FASB Codification Subtopic 820-10 (originally issued as FASB Statement 157).
The ASU provides amendments to Subtopic 820-10 and requires the following new disclosures:
- Significant transfers in and out of level 1 and level 2 fair value measurements and the reasons for the transfers
- An activity schedule of level 3 fair value measurements that separately presents information about purchases, sales, issuances, and settlements. Such information will be on a gross basis rather than one net number.
The ASU also clarifies existing disclosures as follows:
- Fair value measurement disclosures must be provided for each class of assets and liabilities. Classes are subsets of assets and liabilities and reporting entities can use judgment in determining the appropriate class.
- Disclosures about the valuation techniques and inputs used to measure fair value for both recurring and nonrecurring fair value measurement must be provided. The disclosures are required for fair value measurements that fall in either level 2 or level 3.
The new disclosures about level 3 purchases, sales, issuances, and settlements in the activity roll-forward in level 3 fair value measurements are effective for fiscals years beginning after December 15, 2010, or FY12 for the vast majority of independent colleges and universities. All other disclosures and clarifications are effective for fiscal years beginning after December 15, 2009, of FY11 for the vast majority of independent institutions.
The ASU is available on the FASB website.
Director, Accounting Policy
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis