FAF Reviews GASB Deposit and Investment Risk Standards
August 23, 2012
The Financial Accounting Foundation (FAF), the oversight body of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), is conducting a post-implementation review (PIR) of GASB Statements 3 and 40. The PIR is part of an ongoing effort by FAF trustees to evaluate the effectiveness of accounting standards as well as the standard-setting process. The FAF welcomes feedback from preparers at public institutions concerning deposit and investment risk disclosure requirements.
The current phase of the PIR process involves a survey of GASB constituents. The survey, slated for September, will help the FAF evaluate the effectiveness of the accounting standards by hearing from users, preparers, auditors, academics, and regulators. NACUBO encourages public institutions to provide feedback to the FAF by registering and participating in this important survey.
A Brief Background
In 2003, the GASB issued Statement No. 40, "Deposit and Investment Risk Disclosures, an amendment of GASB Statement 3." In issuing the statement, the board had two objectives:
- Update the custodial credit risk disclosure requirements of GASB Statement No. 3, "Deposits with Financial Institutions, Investments, and Reverse Repurchase Agreements."
- Establish more comprehensive disclosure requirements to address other common risks of the deposits and investments of state and local governments.
GASB Statement No. 40 substantially increased the disclosures required about certain risks (i.e., credit risk, concentration of credit risk, interest rate risk, and foreign currency risk) related to the deposits and investments held by public institutions. In fact, many public institutions devote pages of their financial statement notes to these disclosures. For this reason, it is important for public institutions to participate in this post-implementation review process. The survey period is scheduled to begin the second week of September and continue for approximately four weeks.
Director, Accounting Policy
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives