Call for Comments on Proposed Revisions to the Uniform Management of Institutional Funds Act
November 18, 2004
The National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws delayed approval of a revised Uniform Management of Institutional Funds Act (UMIFA) to allow the drafting committee to garner more input from interest groups. NACUBO is seeking comments by November 29.
UMIFA is one of a series of nonbinding “model” statutes recommended to individual state legislatures. Originally released in 1972, UMIFA prescribes a standard of care and prudence to guide governing boards in exercising their duties. It countermands two important tenets of trust law by specifically permitting endowment trustees to spend a prudent portion of realized endowment gains and to delegate investment discretion to qualified professionals. It has been adopted in 46 states and the District of Columbia.
Key issues that impact higher education endowments are:
- eliminating the concept of “historical gift value” as a minimum threshold below which endowed funds could not be spent;
- including a “prudence” standard specifying that spending within a defined range (2 percent to 7 percent) is prudent;
- including an “imprudence” standard, specifying that spending above 7 percent is imprudent;
- retroactively applying the revised act; and
- structuring UMIFA to cover trusts.
NACUBO would like to know what outcomes would be in the best interest of your institution and what information would inform the commission’s final decisions. Send comments to Anna Marie Cirino, associate director of financial management policy, by November 29. Please include your name, title, institution, and contact information.
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis