Advisory to Assist Public Institutions with IPEDS Expense Allocations
January 29, 2010
NACUBO Advisory Report (AR) 2010-1 provides industry guidance for public institutions completing Part C, "Expenses and Other Deductions," of the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Finance Survey. Part C requires allocation of depreciation, operation and maintenance of plant (O&M), and interest expenses to all other functional expense categories during the 2011 (FY10) collection period and is optional during the current 2010 (FY09) collection period. The current Finance Survey opened on December 2, 2009 and will close to key holders on April 14, 2010.
Public institutions must follow the functional expense definitions as defined by NACUBO in its Financial Accounting and Reporting Manual (FARM) and included in Appendix B of AR 2010-1. A functional classification is a method of grouping expenses according to the purpose for which the costs are incurred. To assist public institutions with an effective, efficient, and economical approach to allocating depreciation, O&M, and interest expenses among the functional expense categories, this Advisory Report steps through a cost allocation approach. Because independent institutions have been allocating such costs for more than a decade, the Advisory Report focuses on methods currently used by independent institutions.
NACUBO's preferred industry guidance is solely for the purpose of completing the IPEDS Finance Survey. At this time there is no recommendation or requirement for expanding the functional expense footnote disclosure to include the allocation of depreciation, O&M, and interest expenses to the functional expense categories. Public institutions, however, should consider the many users of their external audited financial statements and evaluate the possible benefits of having Part C IPEDS survey allocation results, or methodologies, be consistent with, used, or disclosed in general purpose external financial statements or other external reports.
The Advisory Report is available on NACUBO's website.
Director, Accounting Policy
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis