AICPA Technical Practice Aid Addresses Natural Disasters
September 21, 2005
In response to Hurricane Katrina, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) issued Technical Practice Aid 5400.05 on September 12. The aid identifies certain issues that may arise in accounting for losses from natural disasters and lists relevant accounting literature for nongovernmental entities to consider in addressing those financial reporting issues.
The aid points practitioners to literature and guidance for recognizing, measuring, and disclosing losses from natural disasters. The relevant accounting literature is organized around the following series of questions that might arise when considering accounting losses incurred as a result of a natural disaster:
- How should losses from a natural disaster of a type that is reasonably expected to reoccur be classified in the statement of operations?
- When should an asset impairment loss related to a natural disaster be recognized?
- When should a liability for non-impairment losses and costs related to a natural disaster be recognized?
- What is the accounting for insurance recoveries to cover losses sustained in a natural disaster?
- What are the additional considerations related to business interruption insurance recoveries?
- What are the required disclosures regarding the impact of a natural disaster?
The technical practice aid is available at www.aicpa.org.
NACUBO staff resource: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy.
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis