AICPA Issues SAS 112 on Communicating Internal Control Matters
May 26, 2006
On May 26, the AICPA issued Statement on Auditing Standards (SAS) No. 112, Communicating Internal Control Related Matters Identified in an Audit. The new SAS 112 supersedes SAS No. 60, Communication of Internal Control Related Matters Noted in an Audit. The Statement is effective for audits of financial statements for periods ending on or after December 15, 2006 (fiscal 2007 for most higher education institutions).
SAS 112 establishes standards and provides guidance on communicating matters related to an entity’s internal control over financial reporting identified in an audit of financial statements. It is applicable whenever an auditor expresses an opinion on financial statements (including a disclaimer of opinion). In particular, this SAS:
- defines the terms "significant deficiency" and "material weakness";
- provides guidance on evaluating the severity of control deficiencies identified in an audit of financial statements; and
- requires the auditor to communicate, in writing, to management and those charged with governance, significant deficiencies and material weaknesses identified in an audit.
The SAS is considered significant because:
- terms such as "significant deficiency" and "material weakness" are also in the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board Auditing Standard No. 2, An Audit of Internal Control Over Financial Reporting Performed in Conjunction With an Audit of Financial Statements, although the definitions in the PCAOB standard are more rigorous; and
- the standard will be considered by the GAO and likely cause changes in the agency's standards, affecting institutions’ A-133 audits and other areas.
NACUBO and PwC will produce a webcast June 22 to help members understand the standard and begin preparation for implementation.
Staff Resource: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy.
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis