AICPA Proposes Standards on Communicating With Governing Bodies
April 6, 2006
The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants' Auditing Standards Board issued a proposed Statement on Auditing Standards in March, “The Auditor's Communication With Those Charged With Governance,” for issuance as an Exposure Draft. This proposed statement establishes standards and provides guidance to an auditor on matters to be communicated with those charged with governance. The proposed statement would replace SAS No. 61, “Communication With Audit Committees,” as amended.
In the wake of well-publicized corporate audit and accountability failures, recent AICPA activity is highly correlated to Sarbanes-Oxley Act topics such as internal controls, accountability, governance, risk assessment, and international standard-setting convergence. The proposed statement increases the scope of the current SAS 61 and would:
• be applicable to audits of the financial statements of all non-issuers,
• establish a requirement for the auditor to communicate to those charged with governance certain significant matters related to the audit,
• increase the nature of items identified for communication to governing bodies,
• identify the additional items, and
• provide guidance on the communication process.
The Exposure Draft is available at www.aicpa.org/members/div/auditstd/technic.htm. The comment period for the draft ends on May 31. NACUBO urges members to review AICPA activities, read Exposure Drafts, and respond directly or through NACUBO with feedback during designated comment periods.
NACUBO contact: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy.
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET