AICPA Proposes Standards on Communicating With Governing Bodies
April 6, 2006
The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants' Auditing Standards Board issued a proposed Statement on Auditing Standards in March, “The Auditor's Communication With Those Charged With Governance,” for issuance as an Exposure Draft. This proposed statement establishes standards and provides guidance to an auditor on matters to be communicated with those charged with governance. The proposed statement would replace SAS No. 61, “Communication With Audit Committees,” as amended.
In the wake of well-publicized corporate audit and accountability failures, recent AICPA activity is highly correlated to Sarbanes-Oxley Act topics such as internal controls, accountability, governance, risk assessment, and international standard-setting convergence. The proposed statement increases the scope of the current SAS 61 and would:
• be applicable to audits of the financial statements of all non-issuers,
• establish a requirement for the auditor to communicate to those charged with governance certain significant matters related to the audit,
• increase the nature of items identified for communication to governing bodies,
• identify the additional items, and
• provide guidance on the communication process.
The Exposure Draft is available at www.aicpa.org/members/div/auditstd/technic.htm. The comment period for the draft ends on May 31. NACUBO urges members to review AICPA activities, read Exposure Drafts, and respond directly or through NACUBO with feedback during designated comment periods.
NACUBO contact: Sue Menditto, director, accounting policy.
- Lawmakers Move Toward Affordable Care Act Repeal
- ED Issues Numerous Announcements Prior to Presidential Transition
- New Report Highlights the Benefits and Value of Higher Education
- 2017 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 1-3, 2017
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:15AM ET
- WEBCAST: Compliance Challenges for the New EPA Hazardous Waste Rule
Tuesday, February 7, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Thursday, February 9, 2017 12:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: The ROI of Student Success: Practical Considerations for Measuring and Conveying the Financial Value of Student Support Services
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus