Guidelines for Writing Department Items
- Make sure that the contribution you have in mind for the editor's consideration is in keeping with the mission of Business Officer : NACUBO's flagship magazine addresses current challenges and emerging trends in strategic planning and budgeting, accounting, finance, technology, facilities, student financial services, leadership, and other areas of higher education administration. The magazine presents experiences of chief business officers, analysis of NACUBO research, and practical tools that can be applied in enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of comprehensive/doctoral institutions, small colleges, community colleges, and research institutions.
- Develop a manuscript in cooperation with a college or university representative, focusing on the institution and quoting its representative.
- Discuss an initiative that is fresh, current, somewhat different, and of interest and relevance to other institutions.
- Provide a very brief background that provides the reason for the initiative/project and the intended results. Focus mainly on the steps taken and the challenges addressed. Identify not only the positive aspects of the approach you describe but the negative as well. Include financial information.
- Consider how the reader can apply the information you provide.
- Illustrate key points with examples.
- Submit a manuscript of no more than 400 words.
- Please do not submit a manuscript that has been published previously or is currently being considered by another publication.
- If your submission is accepted, you will be required to sign a copyright agreement indicating that you grant and assign exclusively and irrevocably to NACUBO all rights, title and interest, including copyright and all rights subsumed thereunder, to the manuscript.
- Send submissions to: Editor. After a review by a subject matter expert on staff, the manuscript will be reviewed by the editor in chief. The review process generally takes six to eight weeks. You will then receive a response regarding the manuscript's suitability to the current editorial needs of Business Officer.
Thank you for your interest in Business Officer.