Snapshot of New Business Officers' Challenges
More than half of the 45 registrants in the New Business Officers Program have come to higher education from other sectors, including health care, government, public accounting, and real estate. Representing all NACUBO constituent groups—research institutions, comprehensive and doctoral institutions, community colleges, and small institutions—they attended the NBO preconference to examine the complexities of campus leadership.
Registrants identified these issues as likely to have the most impact on their institutions in the next 10 years:
- Reduced funding and doing more with less.
- Tuition costs and affordability.
- New leadership transitions.
- Mergers, acquisitions, and consolidation.
- Online product competitors.
- Changing demographics.
- Capital and deferred maintenance needs.
- Safety and security on campus.
- Expanding abroad.
The New Business Officers Program is designed for chief business and financial officers who report directly to the president and who have been in their current positions for three years or fewer.
Return to the conference's main page.