Seven Pluses of Pre-planning
Thinking ahead about what factors might affect your financial performance can yield many direct benefits.
By Laurie Stickelmaier and Susan Vance
In the article “How to Prevent a Financial Fiasco,” in the January 2007 issue of Business Officer, we describe how Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame, Indiana, crafted a financial contingency plan. The plan provides a framework of alternatives for addressing any number of substantial budgetary pressures, foreseen or unpredictable.
We’ve learned from our experience that many direct benefits are in store for institutions that pursue such a financial contingency process. Among them are these seven:
- Provides guidance to the institution’s leadership for dealing with financial exigency.
- Supports thoughtful decision making consistent with the institution’s principles and mission statement.
- Provides a preapproved philosophical foundation and a how-to blueprint for action.
- Helps determine the level of contingency and appropriate level of response.
- Serves as an educational tool for the institution’s constituencies on matters related to institutional finances and operations.
- Fosters a culture of collaboration and inclusiveness among community constituencies.
- Helps to smooth the way during painful financial times and helps ensure buy-in by the full campus community, despite potentially painful financial decisions.
The many positive results for Saint Mary’s College over the past three years—during which the financial contingency plan has been in place—can make the case about the real value of concerted planning for your institution.
Laurie Stickelmaier is vice president for finance and administration, and Susan Vance, financial contingency plan committee chair, is a professor of law and accounting at Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives