Advertise With Us!
In the December issue of Business Officer magazine, discover what college and university leaders are discussing today. With more than 26,000 decision-makers in a $400 billion higher education Business Officer magazine remains a required read for business and finance leaders in higher education.
Student Financial Literacy. To help college students learn to manage their money-and be able to handle loan payments, along with other expenses, when they graduate-institutions are offering multifaceted programs ranging from online resources to role-playing games to peer-to-peer mentoring. Learn the ways that six institutions are approaching their student financial literacy programs, each designed to match the needs of its student population.
Apply Creative Curating Ideas to Campus Strategic Planning. What can the art world teach higher education about strategic planning? Just as a museum curator develops an exhibition by carefully selecting objects that support a major theme, a college or university can use the technique to inspire new ways of strategic thinking. The article describes six such unifying elements for any institution: academic excellence, affordability and access, globalization and internationalization, sustainability, civic engagement, and place-based distinction. The author, a former curator, is associate vice president for strategic initiatives at Longwood University, Farmville, Virginia. While serving as an American Council on Education Fellow in 2012-13, she conducted research on 60 college and university strategic plans-a project that informs much of the article.
Accounting Principles Council Describes New Approach to Consistent Reporting. An initiative of NACUBO's Accounting Principles Council, the Blank State Project is designed to frame a discussion around a unified reporting model for higher education for both public and independent institutions. The project began as an advocacy effort aimed at the Financial Accounting Standard Board's (FASB) work on the not-for-profit reporting model, but the concepts have been presented to the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) as well. The Blank Slate reporting model focuses on clarity in describing such areas as resource categories, endowment, expenses, disclosures, and cash flows.
Updating Nonacademic Campus Space. Outdated facilities were making it difficult to attract students to the University of Georgia's Dahlonega campus. Using a public-private venture that combined tax-exempt bonds and ground leases with a special-purpose foundation, the university implemented campuswide development to upgrade student housing, parking, and recreational and social amenities. An upsurge in interest from future and former students coincided with the completion of the development project, with the university realizing a 50 percent increase in average SAT scores of undergraduate admissions and 42 percent growth in alumni giving.
The final deadline to reserve your advertising space in the December issue is Thursday, November 7, as long as space remains available. Materials are due no later than November 14. You can find our 2014 media kit.
Manager, Business Development
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis