Advertise With Us!
In the February issue of Business Officer magazine, discover what college and university leaders are discussing today. With more than 26,000 decision-makers in a $400 billion higher education Business Officer magazine remains a required read for business and finance leaders in higher education.
Accounting Year in Review. It's been a busy year for the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB). FASB continues to work on changes to its not-for-profit reporting model, and hopes to release a document for public comment in the first quarter of 2015. GASB is continuing to research the effectiveness of its reporting model, deliberate other post-employment benefits, and seek comments on fiduciary activities and leases. At the same time, NACUBO's staff and its Accounting Principles Council members have been involved in advocacy to help the two boards better understand higher education institutions.
From Serving the Campus to Serving the Community. There's no single path of transition from paid professional work to a rewarding new routine. Profiles of recently and not-so-recently retired chief business officers shed light on the many options to consider when opening doors to a different kind of daily experience. Whether it's gradually picking up volunteer responsibilities, planning those long-delayed adventures in faraway realms, or developing a dormant hobby, see what paths others have taken-usually with some surprises along the way.
Leadership Series Speaker 2015-An Interview With Dr. Helen Fisher. In her examination of neurological correlations of personal temperament, Helen Fisher, research professor, author, and speaker, found that personality is not random. Deeply ingrained in genetics, human behavior and individual traits play a major role in dictating leadership approaches and styles. Fisher has identified four broad styles of thinking and behaviors associated with specific brain systems; and her work also focuses on understanding how individuals of different temperaments are predisposed to thinking, working, buying, innovating, following, and leading.
Easing the Transition to Higher Education. Whether someone is brand new to the higher education sector or to the CBO role-or is a CBO in training-the wisdom of others can help individuals make that role shift with greater confidence. The article includes advice from college and university business officers who have successfully made the switch from other industries, one CBO's primer on where to focus those first 100 days, and counsel from consultants about the value of a solid onboarding process.
Employer Expectations for Higher Education Outcomes. With increased pressures to improve completion rates and employment prospects for students, institutions are working smarter to pave the way. Employers-especially companies that do business on particular campuses-explain ways to build the kinds of relationships that facilitate job placement. Engaging human resources, career counselors, and strategic planning experts add to the tools to achieve measurable results.
The final deadline to reserve your advertising space in the February issue is Friday, January 9, as long as space remains available. Materials are due no later than January 16. You can find our 2015 Marketing kit.
Manager, Business Development
- Lawmakers Introduce Bills to Simplify Student Aid
- CFPB Proposes Draft Template for Student Banking Options
- Data on Campus Law Enforcement Released
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis